Are you insatiably curious? A lover of research, statistics, and programming? Do you enjoy a formidable business challenge? If so, then we share a lot in common and would love to get to know you better.
Unfortunately, we are no longer hiring against this position.
What is Gradient?
We’re a new breed of market researchers and data scientists that apply statistical models to make difficult decisions easier. We create actionable intelligence from data of any kind. We investigate deeply and iteratively to solve problems, not symptoms. Above all else, we are never satisfied with the first layer of understanding.
We help a diverse array of clients from Series A startups to Fortune 100 companies precisely evaluate their marketing campaigns, calculate customer lifetime value, assess brand equity and experiment with new product design. And that’s just an appetizer.
There is no “standard” day at Gradient — we like to push the norm by exploring new methodologies and technologies. We can do this because we are lean, flexible, and efficient. This makes us a little different than our peers and we’re looking for someone with a healthy dose of curiosity, brilliance, and (a bit of) grit to join us. Head over to our website and our latest newsletters to find out more about who we are and what we do.
Why we think we’re special
Gradient is a truly unique company, and we intend to keep it that way. We value both independence and collaboration — meaning you can do what you need to do to solve a problem, but you have all the tools and expertise at your disposal to get it done. You’ll be part of our growth and will help craft our legacy.
You’ll learn something new every single day by solving problems that rarely have a clear solution. And if you don’t know something, we’ll give you the resources you need to figure it out. We love books, classes, and workshops. We’ll take good care of you with a competitive salary, healthcare coverage, unlimited time off, and a flexible schedule that allows you to be a real person too.
We are looking for a data scientist who is highly proficient in R (actually, eats and breaths R) and wants to be a part of a research team that helps clients make difficult decisions.
The data scientist role will be expected to advise research managers to develop research designs that are grounded in statistical best practices, develop complex statistical models and be able to explain the model to other members of the team research team.
On a daily basis we are looking for support on the automation side of our data analyses as well. The role will be responsible for managing and extending our internal code base with tests, automation and packaging scripts into internal R libraries. We highly value the verification of our work and will require the help on inventing methods and ideas to test data analyses.
Who are we looking for?
- You should be
- Comfortable driving client conversations
- Able to conduct Market Research Analyses
- Comfortable running projects
- Able to work with data collection partners (e.g. Dynata, YouGov etc.)
- You are proficient at
- Using R (3+ years of experience)
- Excellent knowledge of tidyverse: ggplot2, dplyr, haven
- Driving internal code development
- Writing clean, properly formatted and commented code
- Delivering the code with tests and examples
- Providing extensive documentation in the form of vignettes
- Packaging code and automating checks with CI solutions
- Frequentist and/or Bayesian statistics
- Experience in the creation of classification, regression and segmentation models
- Ability to explain and synthesize the results of used statistical models
- Analyzing survey data in R
- Knowledge of the structure of survey data (SAV format)
- Familiarity with survey weighting routines
- Ability to detect outliers and straightliners in the survey data
- Data visualization in R
- Using online collaborative tools
- Slack, GoogleDocs, GitHub, Notion
- Nice to have
- Familiarity with designing and analyzing survey experiments, including but not limited to:
- Discrete choice experiments (e.g. conjoint, MaxDiff)
- Randomized control trials
- Message and persuasion testing
- Experience in creating and working with APIs
- Packaging R functions into APIs
- Hosting APIs as Docker images
- Extracting data from APIs of 3rd party providers
- Experience with AWS cloud computing provider
- Data storage on S3
- Cloud computing with AWS EC2
- Running Jupyter Notebooks at AWS SageMaker
- Advanced writing skills, especially for a public audience
- Polished presentation skills
- Employment conditions
- Comfortable with permanent remote arrangement
- Open to 90 day trial period
- Spoken language: English